Intensive Gemara Shabbat
Intensive Gemara Shabbat: Lesson 1
TIKKUN AND MIKALKEL : We plan on beginning with the Mishnah on 73a. The Sugyot found there are very rich, both in Lumdus and Halacha; both of which we plan on learning well. Regarding preparation. Most importantly is to see: 1 – Gemara Shabbat, the Mishneh 73a, 2 – Tosfot in Shabbat הקושר 3 – Gittin 19a, 4 – Rashi in Gittin מקלקל הוא 5 – Tosfot in Gitten מוחק 6 – Gemara Baba Kamma 34b, the Mishnah and following Gemara n 35a, 7 – Tosfot in BK מתניתין. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at email@example.com. Looking forward Jesse Horn
Intensive Gemara Shabbat: Lesson 2
CHARISHA (PLOWING) : People seemed excited with the Brisker style of learning Gemara. Here are the Mekorot (sources) for next Thursday’s Shiur. We are talking about Charisha(plowing) the first of the 39 Melachot (prohibited acts). Gemara Shabbat 73b from the top until the words “והדר כרבט” Rashi on that Gemara Gemara Shabbat 73b from “תנא החורש” until”מקלקל הוא” just before the two dots. Rashi on that Gemara, The Rambam Hilchot Shabbat, Perek 8, Halacha 1.
Additionally, here are the answers to the questions I sent. If clarification is needed (even a lot of it), please feel free to ask.
1. What is Tosfot’s opening question? Does Matir (untying) need to be designed to retie to be Chayuv (liable)
2. What is Tosfot’s answer (Rashi and Rabaynu Chananel)? It’s a Machlokit (arguement) between Rashi and Rabaynu Chananel (who Tosfot accept). Rashi – no Rabaynu Chananel and Tosfot – yes
3. Rabbi Soloveitchik classified Matir as parve. Do parve Melachot (prohibited acts) have to be “Al Minas L’Tikan” (done for a constructive purpose)? Thats a Machlokit (arguement) as well; Rashi vs Rabaynu Chananel and Tosfot. Rashi – no Rabaynu Chananel and Tosfot- yes
4. How did Rashi and Tosfot’s (Gitten 19a) explanation for why Sikra Al Gabay D’yo (one ink on top of another) according to one opinion is Chayuv (liable)? Rashi – it’s not complete destructive and therefore is Chayuv (liable) Tosfot – it’s constructive and therefore Chayuv (liable)
5. If one does a Melacha (forbidden activity) that is MiKalkel (destructive), did one violate an Isur (prohibition)? Thats a Machlokit between Rashi and Tosfot. Rashi – yes Tosfot – no
Intensive Gemara Shabbat: Lesson 3
BORRER (SEPARATING): Moving along in our study of the Melachot, we confront Borrer (Separating). As usual, we will being with an analysis of the Gemara and Rishonim, and from there, move into the Halacha L’Maaseh (practical Halacha) issues. Here are the Mekorot. And as usual, feel free to email me (thanks to those who have been) 1. Gemara Shabbat 74a from ת”ר after the two dots, until “הא בנפה וכברה” (here is the link) http://daf-yomi.com/Dafyomi_Page.aspx?id=270&vt=1&fs=0 2. Tosfot D”H היו 3. Tosfot D”H בורר 4. Rabaynu Chananel 74b from מ”ט דמלכת until בלבד http://daf-yomi.com/Dafyomi_Page.aspx?id=271&vt=1&fs=0 5. Taz on Shulchan Aruch 319:13 6. Mishneh Brura 319:61 7. Chazon Ish (I’ll make a copy) 8. Mishneh Brura (introduction to 319) http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=50327&st=&pgnum=737 http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=50327&st=&pgnum=703
Intensive Gemara Shabbat: Lesson 4
TOCHEN (GRINDING): Here are the Mekorot 1. Gemara Shabbat 74b, from “והטוחן” until the two dots. 2. Ran (Dapay HaRiff 32a אמר רב פפא) 3. Tosfot Shabbat 114b אלא (and the Gemara there) 4.Shulchan Aruch and Ramah Orach Chaim 321:12 5. Mishneh Brura 321:41 6. Shulchan Aruch 328:1.
Intensive Gemara Shabbat: Lesson 7
BISHUL (COOKING) PART 3: Here are the Mekorot (sources) for the last Shiur on Bishul (cooking). The first two sources are found here http://www.dafyomi.org/index.php?masechta=shabbos&daf=36b Enjoy
Intensive Gemara Shabbat: Lesson 10
OPENING BOTTLE AND CANS ON SHABBOS: I hope things are well. For the last two classes (this week and next) I plan on dealing with specific cases. I think it is important to see Poskim in action. Until now we looked at the Melachos and a few principles. For the last two classes we’ll start with the Halachik question and then go to the Mekorot. This week we’ll discuss opening and closing bottles. The Mekorot are attached in a word doc, but here is the list anyway. 1. Mishneh Shabbat 146a 2. Aruvin 34b 3. Ran (Dapay HaRiff 61b 4. Tosfos (Shabbos 146a D”HShover) 5. Shulchan Aruch 314:1 6. Mishneh Brura 314:7 As usual, feel free to ask me anything if you like. Looking forward.
Intensive Gemara Shabbat: Lesson 11
GOING TO THE KOTEL ON SHABBOS:I hope you have enjoyed this semester as much as I have. This session we will talk about going down to the Kotel on Shabbos and potential problem it raises with the security cameras. Some of the Shiur will review Daver ShaAno Mitkaven and others will introduce new material dealing with Ketiva.